Assistance available for energy bills

Wisconsin program taking applications for customers needing help

MADISON — As the winter heating season approaches, Wisconsin Public Service reminds customers that energy assistance applications now are being accepted by the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program.

WHEAP, directed by the Wisconsin Department of Administration, provides qualifying residents assistance with energy bills and emergency needs. Assistance is made in the form of a grant.

WHEAP provides assistance for heating costs, electric costs, and energy crisis situations. Operating with federal and state funding, the program provides assistance to households across the state to help lower the burden incurred with monthly energy costs.

Most types of fuel are eligible to receive assistance. Whether you use wood, propane, natural gas, electricity or fuel oil to heat your home, energy assistance is available if you qualify.

Eligibility for energy assistance is determined by household income level, and residents do not need to be behind on energy bills to receive a grant.

More residents may be eligible for energy assistance this year due to changes in the income guidelines.

In order to receive a WHEAP grant, applicants must provide:

— Proof of income for all household members for the past three months;

— Social Security numbers for all household members;

— Their most recent energy bill or their electric and/or natural gas account number;

— Photo ID (only applies to first-time applicants);

—  Rent certificate or statement (if heat is included in the resident’s rent, or the resident provides a separate heating payment to the landlord).

Anyone applying for energy assistance must contact the designated county agency.

In Florence County, contact the Department of Human Services at 715-528-3475.

A list of all energy assistance agencies can be found on the WPS website or by calling 866-432-8947.

Get more information on applying for energy assistance at