Testimony begins in Dickinson County heroin trial


IRON MOUNTAIN — A scheduled three-day jury trial began Monday in Dickinson County Circuit Court for a Crystal Falls man accused of selling heroin in the Iron Mountain-Kingsford area twice in March.

Nine women and four men were picked after nearly a full day of jury selection to decide if 36-year-old Paul Dwayne Scott is guilty of two counts of delivery of heroin, a 20-year felony. One juror will be named an alternate.

About a dozen people are expected to testify — the confidential informant who claimed to purchase the drugs from Scott; Scott’s girlfriend and co-defendant, Heather Brazeika; and officers from the Iron Mountain Police Department, Kingsford Public Safety Department and Dickinson County Sheriff’s Office.

The informant worked with the KIND Drug Team to reportedly twice purchase heroin from Scott and Brazeika in their vehicle, on March 9 outside the Dickinson County Memorial Hospital in Iron Mountain and on March 26 outside ManorCare Nursing & Rehabilitation Center in Kingsford.

Each time, Brazeika was driving and Scott traded him two “bindles” of heroin for $150, according to the informant.

Sgt. Joseph Dumais of the Iron Mountain Police Department testified Monday he searched the informant’s clothing, wallet and belongings before the March 26 incident to make sure the informant went into Scott and Brazeika’s vehicle with only marked buy money and a body microphone.

Dumais then drove the informant to ManorCare in an unmarked vehicle and had him wait outside where officers could watch him at all times. Officers continued to watch him as he got into Scott and Brazeika’s vehicle, rode around the parking lot and then returned to Dumais’ vehicle with paper packets of heroin, Dumais testified.

Defense attorney Grant Carlson noted the informant picked out the time and location of the controlled buy, and was waiting outside ManorCare for almost an hour between when Dumais dropped him off and when he got into Scott and Brazeika’s vehicle.

Dumais didn’t hear the entire conversation between the informant and Scott, and never saw the actual exchange of heroin and money, Carlson pointed out.

Scott was arrested a few days later, but officers never found the marked buy money on him, Carlson added.

The prosecution was expected to continue calling witnesses this morning.

Nikki Younk can be reached at 906-774-2772, ext. 41, or nyounk@ironmountaindailynews.com.