Christmas night fire levels Loretto home

A FIRE DESTROYED a two-story home on Main Street in Loretto. The seven occupants — two adults and five children — all escaped injury. (Theresa Proudfit/Daily News photo)

A FIRE DESTROYED a two-story home on Main Street in Loretto. The seven occupants — two adults and five children — all escaped injury. (Theresa Proudfit/Daily News photo)

LORETTO — No one was hurt in a Christmas night fire that destroyed a Loretto family’s home.

Firefighters believe an overheated wood stove caused the blaze about 11:15 p.m. Monday at a two-story house on Main Street, Norway Fire Chief Dave Bal said.

Two adults and five children — between the ages of 10 and 14 — were home at the time and able to safely get out of the building, Bal said.

Flames engulfed the home before firefighters arrived, Bal said, and subzero temperatures and wind chills overnight hindered their efforts. The structure is a total loss, he added.

The family was able to stay with relatives but lost everything in the fire, Bal said.

Firefighters remained on site until 8 a.m. Tuesday. We Energies personnel also responded to replace some burnt power lines.

Although authorities did not immediately identify the family, Mari Negro of Norway has set up a GoFundMe page for the LaPine/Burch family, identifying them as Tim LaPine, Kristy Burch and five boys.

To view the fundraising page, search “LaPine/Burch Family” at gofundme.com.

COMMENTS