Crivitz group receives grant to reconstruct historic Hergan barn
Will be located on museum grounds
CRIVITZ, Wis. — The Crivitz-Stephenson Historical Society has received $5,000 from the Community-Wide Fund held at the M&M Area Community Foundation for a new project they are initiating.
The society is reconstructing the historic 1909 Hergan barn, originally located on one of the earliest farms in the Crivitz area, on the Crivitz Museum grounds.
The reconstructed barn will create an indoor display area for all of the society’s farm equipment collection, bringing the equipment currently displayed outside into a building and out of the elements. This will enable volunteers to continue teaching students and other visitors to the museum how farming evolved in the area.
Included as part of the display will be an exhibit of what the inside of an early dairy barn looked like. Having this barn on the museum grounds provides a vehicle to broaden the understanding of visitors on how the past has influenced the present and encourage youth and young adults to remain in this area.
“The Crivitz-Stephenson Historical Society is dedicated to preserving and displaying the history of the Crivitz area. The addition of the Hergan barn and support of the M&M Area Community Foundation will allow us to display the rich farming heritage of our area,” according to curator, John Deschane,
The Society is extremely grateful to the M&M Area Community Foundation for partnering with them in this effort — allowing them to lay the foundation for this project. Since its founding in 1994, the MMACF has tackled some of the area’s toughest challenges in education, healthcare, poverty, public safety and human services. The Crivitz-Stephenson Historical Society is glad to be a partner.
The Crivitz Museum, at 104 S. Oak St. in Crivitz, is open from noon to 4 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday through Labor Day.