IRON MOUNTAIN - While updating the Dr. Nelson Powell Hulst case in the basement of the Menominee Range Historical Museum this spring, a booklet published by A.P. Swineford, editor of Marquette's The Mining Journal, in June, 1880, was rediscovered.
William J. Cummings, historian and board member of the Menominee Range Historical Foundation, transcribed and edited the booklet, adding early photographs from the Museum's collection and additional mining records.
The Menominee Iron Range: History of Its Mines, When and by Whom Discovered, Their Present Condition and Future Prospects originally contained 54 pages, and was written when the Menominee Iron Range was in its infancy. Swineford's detailed descriptions of the mines discovered by that time provide contemporary insight into early mining in our area. Included are the Emmett Mine (Waucedah), the Breen Mine (Waucedah), the Vulcan Mine, the Cyclops Mine (Norway), the Norway Mine, the Quinnesec Mine, the Chapin Mine (Iron Mountain), the Stephenson Mine (Norway), the Saginaw Section 4 Mine (Norway), the Curry Mine (Norway), the Ludington Mine (Iron Mountain), the Keel Ridge Mine (between Quinnesec and Iron Mountain), the Cornell Mine (near Iron Mountain), the Commonwealth Mine (near Florence, Wis.) and the Florence Mine.
An account of the "new town of Norway" is also included, as well as information on the "village of Escanaba," which served as the port for shipping the ore from the Menominee Iron Range.
The new 70-page booklet, priced at $7, contains Swineford's entire original account, complete with reproductions of 10 pages of 1880-vintage regional advertisements; a Glossary of Useful Mining Terms; a 23-page Appendix of Earliest Dickinson County Photographs, most taken in the late 1870s and 1880s and containing informative captions; and an 11-page Appendix of the Mines of the Eastern Menominee Range which includes mines, their locations and shipping records.