Even though nearly every politician, teacher, journalist and citizen will tell you that our founders created a democracy, it is absolutely not true.
The founders knew full well the differences between a republic and a democracy. They repeatedly and emphatically said that they had founded a republic so they could prevent a democracy, which is government ruled by the majority (mob rule).
Here is a few more examples of democracy:
1. Authority derived through mass meetings or any other "direct" expression results in what the founders called "mobocracy."
2. Attitude toward property is communistic - negating private property rights.
3. Attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate, whether it be based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences.
4. Results are demagoguery, agitation, discontent and anarchy.
1. Authority is derived through the open election, by the people, of public officials the people feel are best able to represent them.
2. Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles, studied research and established evidence, with a strict regard for consequences.
3. Avoids the dangerous extreme of either tyranny or mobocracy.
4. Results are statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice and progress.
We all need to think long and hard about the consequences of our actions and work on preserving our republic as it was intended to function by the founders. There are many forces that would work to destroy it and make us all into Greeks (they tried a democracy and it failed).
The importance of our constitutional government has to be fought for many people have died fighting for the right to live under our process.
We fought a bloody war for independence. We need to study our last 242 years of living under a God-inspired system and pass this history on to our children.
It's a republic if we can keep it. Freedom is not free. Slavery is.