By LISA M. REED
NORWAY - A Norway family lost everything after a fire destroyed their home on Tuesday afternoon.
Theresa Peterson/Daily News Photo
No one was injured in a fire that destroyed a Norway home on Tuesday afternoon. Fire officials say the home is a total loss.
Norway Fire Captain Dave Bal said the department was paged to a report of a chimney fire at 2:50 p.m. The next page was for a structure fire at 605 Walnut St.
Bal said when firefighters arrived on scene, there was heavy smoke and fire on the exterior wall around the chimney.
"Upon entry, the fire engulfed the whole house," Bal said. "The house is a complete loss. The family lost everything. All their belongings are gone."
The home is owned by David Pohl. His wife and children were home at the time of the fire and able to escape uninjured.
Firefighters remained on scene until 10 p.m.
Bal said the cause of the fire is either a chimney fire or an overheated wood stove in the basement.
American Red Cross provided assistance to the firefighters with donated food and beverages. They also assisted the family with food, clothing and shelter.
North Alert Ambulance, Norway Electric Department, Norway Water Department and DTE Energy also responded to the fire. Breitung Township Fire Department was called to the scene to resupply firefighters air bottles with air.
No one was injured in the fire.
Bal added that the house is a total loss and there is the shell of the house standing.
"The house next door received damage from the chimney falling off the house and onto the next house," he said.
Lisa M. Reed's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.