By LISA M. REED
IRON MOUNTAIN - An Iron Mountain auto business destroyed by an accidental fire over the weekend will rebuild.
Ron Deuter/Daily News Photo
Iron Mountain Fire Department personnel respond to a fire at Dave’s Auto Sales in Iron Mountain on Sunday. The building was a total loss.
Dave Anderson, owner of Dave's Auto Service, 1137 S. Stephenson Ave., said the fire that broke out late Saturday night was caused by one of his part-time employees who was junking an old car.
"He pulled out the gas tank and some sparks happened off a jump start battery unit, and he bumped cable ends on a portable jump start unit," Anderson said. "He accidentally bumped the jumper cable clamps together. Any little sparks don't mix well with gas fumes."
Firefighters from the Iron Mountain Fire Department were called to a structure fire at the auto business at 12:07 a.m. Sunday.
The building is being considered a loss, but the business will remain.
No one was injured in the fire.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 7:41 a.m.
Iron Mountain Fire Chief Dan Johnson said the fire was caused by gasoline vapors that had been ignited by an unknown ignition source.
Anderson and his wife, Maureen, have already decided they will rebuild a more efficient and modern shop on the same footprint as the business they have owned for 38 years.
The business is auto repair and also sells vehicles.
"Everything will be the same," Anderson said.
Anderson added that his business will temporarily set up shop at an Iron Mountain auto business location and/or his former business/storage unit at the corner of Lake Antoine Road and U.S. 2 in Quinnesec.
"There will definitely be a brand new building before the snow flies, the sooner the better," Anderson said. "If it's done in three or four months, that would be great. We have a lot of customers calling and waiting, and we will be setting up a temporary office on the lot, so we will be set up to sell cars."
Anderson added that a 1967 Corvette was pushed out of the auto service shop in the nick of time before the fire destroyed the building. He said no vehicles were damaged whatsoever during the fire.
"I even got the titles and extra keys out of the shop," he said.
The auto business, located at the corner of U.S. 2 and H Street, was built in 1958.
Lisa M. Reed's e-mail address is email@example.com.