Spartan backers, especially those with U.P. ties, won't be disappointed with "100 Things Michigan State Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die" (Triumph).
Author Michael Emmerich offers the expected, and interesting, segment on Iron Mountain's Tommy Izzo.
"Izzo belongs in consideration as the greatest college basketball coach of all time," Emmerich wrote. "Few, if any, can compete with the quality of Izzo's NCAA overall tournament resume."
Izzo has coached the Spartans to six Final Fours and 16 consecutive tourney appearances.
Other items that grabbed my attention:
- Bubba Smith was arrested for unpaid parking tickets the night before the dramatic 10-10 tie with Notre Dame.
- Michigan didn't want MSU as a school (Agricultural College of the State of Michigan) or in the conference.
- Marquette native Carl (Buck) Nystrom, among Duffy Daugherty's first-team All-Americans, "played with a perpetually skinned nose, a result of the violent collisions he craved."
Daugherty called Nystrom, MSU's 1955 MVP, the "greatest guard he ever coached."
Chuck Fairbanks, a U.P. high school coach before going to the pro and college ranks, said Nystrom was the "greatest line coach who ever coached in high school or college football without question or exception."
Nystrom also achieved academic All-American.
- Copper Country's Lyman Frimodig, a neighbor of George Gipp, is the only MAC athlete earn 10 letters - football, basketball and baseball. The 1917 grad served as the school's assistant AD and business manager for 41 years.
- Burt Angeli, The Daily News
Most Michigan State Spartans fans have taken in a game or two at Spartan Stadium or Jack Breslin Student Events Center, have seen highlights of Magic Johnson, and have heard the story of the famous Game of the Century.
But only real fans know the history of "the Walk," how many Zeke the Wonder Dogs there have been, the origins of Sparty, or all the lyrics to "MSU Shadows."
"100 Things Michigan State Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die" Triumph) is the ultimate resource guide for true fans of Michigan State football and men's basketball.
Whether a die-hard booster from the days of Jumpin' Johnny Green or a new supporter of football coach Mark Dantonio, fans will value these essential pieces of Michigan State football and basketball knowledge and trivia, as well as all the must-do activities, that have been ranked from 1 to 100, providing an entertaining and easy-to-follow checklist for Spartan supporters to progress on their way to fan superstardom.