By NIKKI YOUNK
QUINNESEC - Eight roads, mostly in the Quinnesec area, are on Breitung Township's preliminary list of roads scheduled to be paved in 2014.
Members of the Breitung Township Board of Trustees at their Monday meeting approved to submit the list to the Dickinson County Road Commission for price estimates.
Roads include Timber Lane, Fumee Lake Drive, and portions of River Street, Cemetery Street, Brule Street, Mellen Street, Menominee Street, and South Park Avenue.
Township Supervisor Denny Olson explained that limiting paving projects to one specific area of the township each year will help save money.
"We'll get the most bang for our buck," he said. "Next year, we'll look at different areas."
Olson added that if the road commission's cost estimates come in lower than expected, more roads can be added to the list.
In other business, the board:
- Renewed the township's contract with Great American Disposal for the collection and disposal of residents' household waste for another two years. The original three-year contract expires on Feb. 1, but it includes an optional two-year extension.
- Approved to follow the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) annual rate for mileage. Township Clerk Samantha Coron pointed out that the township has been using the rate of 48.5 cents per mile for more than five years now. The current IRS mileage rate is 56 cents per mile. Trustees John Gaudette and Mary Beth Dixon voted against the motion.
- Authorized members of the township's board of review, the township superintendent, and the township assessor to attend a Michigan Township Association training session in Escanaba on Feb. 12. The township will cover the cost of registration, mileage, and new board of review guide books. In his memo to the board, Township Superintendent Joe Rogina pointed out that registration and mileage are budgeted items, but the books, at a cost of $31.50 each, are not.
- Hired Cameron O'Connor as a new member of the North Breitung fire station, pending completion of his application. The board also approved to remove Andrew Bortolini from the fire department for lack of participation.
- Scheduled a joint meeting with the township's water/sewer board for Feb. 3 at 7 p.m. at the township hall. The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss possible future projects.
- Approved Olson's appointments of board members to various township committees and commissions.
Nikki Younk's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.