Happy birthday to us. Today marks the 93rd anniversary of The Daily News.
The newspaper, which was established in 1921 by the late Frank J. Russell Sr., has made significant changes through its long history.
Started as a family-owned newspaper, The Daily News is now owned and operated by Ogden Newspapers Inc. of Michigan.
"We have thoroughly enjoyed our relationship with the area we serve and we hope we have been of service to the community," said Publisher Robert J. Johnson. "The Daily News looks forward to many more years of growth and progress."
The Dickinson County area was served by numerous newspapers throughout its history.
The Daily News began when Mr. Russell purchased The Tribune-Gazette and Iron Mountain Press, which were merged into the new Iron Mountain Daily News. Then without notice, on May 3, 1922, the masthead was changed to The Iron Mountain News.
The Daily Tribune and The Gazette were both founded in 1896, and later merged to form The Tribune-Gazette. The Iron Mountain Press also was founded in 1896.
In essence, The Daily News is a merger of three Iron Mountain newspapers.
Since the founding of Iron Mountain in 1879, the area has been served by 17 different newspapers, including four Swedish language newspapers.
Some of them include:
- The Northern Tribune/The Leader.
- The Range-Tribune.
- The Malmberget.
- The Veckoblad.
- The Monitor.
- The Dickinson County Journal.
- The Iron Mountain Journal.
- The Iron Mountain Industrial Journal.
- The Menominee Range.
- The Quinnesec Herald.
- The Norway Iron Chronicle.
- The Iron Chronicle.
- Labor's Voice.
The Daily News is printed in Powers at the Powers Printing Co., a multi-million-dollar printing facility constructed in 1977 by The Daily News, in cooperation with The Daily Press of Escanaba.
Both newspapers are printed at the Powers facility.
As it began serving a greater regional area, The Iron Mountain News changed its name to The Daily News in 1978.
As part of Panax Corp., The Daily News published a Sunday newspaper - the U.P. Sunday Times. It first appeared on the newsstands on March 1, 1978. It ceased publication on July 27, 1980.
The Iron Mountain News began operations using letterpress printing presses and manual typewriters. Letterpress print presses use melted lead to set the type. Dickinson County's only daily newspaper switched to an offset printing press on March 9, 1975.
The Iron Mountain printing presses were dismantled when the Powers Printing Co. facility began operations in July 1977.
In keeping step with technology, the news and classified advertising departments of The Daily News began using computer technology in March 1983. After computer upgrades, full computer pagination was implemented in the spring of 1991.
At that time, The Daily News was one of a handful of daily newspapers in Michigan to use full computer design and composition.
Today's Daily News is continuing to change. The entire billing process is now computerized. All Daily News pages are sent electronically to Powers, where they are processed.
The Daily News has a website for internet readers, featuring local news, sports, classified advertising, local obituaries, and photo galleries.
In the past few years, The Daily News has upgraded nearly every facet of its graphics and computer printing technology.
The Daily News has approximately 40 full- and part-time employees at the main office in Iron Mountain, and there are approximately 40 more employees at the printing facility in Powers.