IRON MOUNTAIN - The first seven months of 2014 marked the coolest January through July period at Iron Mountain-Kingsford since 1899, the National Weather Service said.
The average temperature over the seven-month span was 35.7 degrees, which was five degrees below normal, said Kevin Crupi, weather service meteorologist at Marquette. It was one degree colder than the modern record of 36.7 degrees set in 1996.
"Thanks to a fairly persistent northwest flow of Canadian air into the Upper Great Lakes on the western flank of an upper trough in eastern Canada, Iron Mountain experienced very cool weather in July," Crupi said.
Bill Rimicci of Iron Mountain spends a cool evening fishing at Lake Antoine in Iron Mountain. Despite the recent warm weather, this year is one of the coldest on record.
Theresa Proudfit/Daily News Photo
The average temperature last month was 65 degrees, which was three degrees below normal. The highest temperature was 86 degrees on July 21 and 22 and the lowest was 44 degrees on July 4 and 17.
Although temperatures in May and June were slightly above normal at Iron Mountain-Kingsford, they were far below normal the first four months of the year.
July was dry, as well as cool, with only 1.67 inches of rainfall - 1.78 inches below normal. The U.S. Drought Monitor shows abnormally dry conditions in Dickinson County as well as most of Iron and Menominee counties, along with Florence, Forest and Marinette counties in Wisconsin.
Statistics for the Iron Mountain-Kingsford Wastewater Treatment plant cooperative observer site are based on records that began in March 1931. Any data listed from years before 1931 were taken at nearby sites. Normals used are for the period 1981 through 2010.
Iron River was the coldest spot in the Upper Peninsula in July with an average temperature of 59 degrees, Crupi said.
The long-range forecast calls for normal temperature and precipitation trends from September through November.
Some other temperature and precipitation observations across the Upper Peninsula in July:
- Ironwood, average temperature 62.9 (2.9 degrees below normal) precipitation 3.45 inches (0.65 inches below normal).
- Copper Harbor, average temperature 61.8 degrees, precipitation 2.8 inches.
- Baraga, average temperature 64.8 degrees, precipitation 5.32 inches.
- Big Bay, average temperature 64.5 degrees, precipitation 3.62 inches.
- Marquette, average temperature 63.7 (2.9 degrees below normal), precipitation 4.04 inches (1.22 inches above normal).
- Munising, average temperature 61.0 (3.8 degrees below normal), precipitation 3.26 inches (0.01 inches below normal).
- Newberry, average temperature 60.9 (4.7 degrees below normal), precipitation 1.87 inches (1.23 inches below normal).
- Iron River, average temperature 59 degrees, precipitation 2.13 inches.
- Norway, average temperature 65.2 degrees, precipitation 2.3 inches.
- Garden Corners, average temperature 62.7 degrees, precipitation 3.29 inches.
- Manistique, average temperature 60 (4.7 degrees below normal), precipitation 1.31 inches (1.73 inches below normal)
Jim Anderson's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.