Soccer: Flivvers, Marquette battle to 1-1 tie

Kingsford's Peyton Johnson (4) and Marquette's Reegan Ketzenberger (16) rush for the ball Tuesday at Commemorative Field. (Burt Angeli/The Daily News)

KINGSFORD — Marquette was pleased with a UP Soccer Conference tie on the road Tuesday at Commemorative Field.

Kingsford had a different perspective.

“Can I say it was a good team tie?” Flivvers coach Jon Lorenzoni said with a smile. “I’m not unhappy about it.”

While the Flivvers (4-0-1, 1-0-1 UPSC) would have preferred the girls soccer victory, the Redettes (1-0-1) came away satisfied.

“You always want to win,” said Marquette coach Jeff Collins. “But when you’re in a game like this and they give everything they have, you have to be happy especially coming away (from home) with a point in our brand new conference.”

Marquette’s Sierra Carlson, with help from Deni Peterson, slipped past defense in the final two minutes of the first half for a 1-0 advantage.

Kingsford fired back three minutes into the first half as swimming and distance running standout Peyton Johnson scored to even the match. Brooke Blaskowski had the assist.

Goalies Abi Person of Kingsford and Caitlin Palomaki of Marquette put up a wall for more than 37 minutes of second-half regulation and two five-minute overtime periods.

“That was as intense as any soccer game that I’ve been involved in,” Lorenzoni said. “Everybody that stepped on the field gave their all. They’re a rock-solid team They’re Marquette and we’ve struggled to have success against them in the past.”

Lorenzoni regretted experimenting in the first half.

“Maybe you don’t do that against Marquette,” he said. “I did a poor job in the first half in putting some people in unfamiliar positions.”

Lorenzoni thought Marquette dominated play early in the match.

“We were a step slow but about the 15-minute mark we started playing even and getting some chances,” he said. “We picked it up a little bit.

“The rest if the first half, even though we were down 1-0, I thought we were right there with them.”

Kingsford threatened several times in the second half and Person made three fine saves by diving at the feet of Marquette attackers.

“Our intensity was really good in the second half,” Lorenzoni said. “Our pressure was good. I thought we were going to break through for one more.”

Collins summed up the match as “just back and forth, and very physical.”

“They had momentum awhile and we had momentum awhile,” Collins said. “There were two great saves, one on each side. Any bounce could have made a difference.”

Kingsford travels to Houghton on Thursday for a conference match. Marquette defeated Iron Mountain in overtime for its league win.

“I’m very proud of my team for the way they dug down deep,” said Collins, noting three or four of his players were ill. “Now Kingsford has to travel and see us (on May 10). “We want to win the conference. That’s what we’re here for.”

Marquette 1 0 0 0 — 1

Kingsford 0 1 0 0 — 1

First Half

M — Sierra Carlson (Deni Peterson), 1:33

Second Half

K — Peyton Johnson (Brooke Blaskowski), 37:41