Soccer: Marquette edges Kingsford, 1-0

Kingsford’s Abbey Erickson, left, defends against Marquette’s Aurora Mlsna on Wednesday at Marquette Senior High School. (Rachel Oakley/The Mining Journal)

MARQUETTE — Marquette and Kingsford seem to always have tight battles whenever they meet on the soccer field and another one happened on Wednesday.

After fighting the Flivvers to a 1-1 tie at Kingsford earlier this season, the Redettes emerged with a 1-0 UP Soccer Conference victory thanks to a first-half goal by Deni Peterson.

Kingsford (6-2-1, 2-2-1 UPSC) had a chance to tie it late in the second half, but a point-blank shot trickled just wide of the net.

“We’re always tight with Kingsford,” Marquette head coach Jeff Collins said. “It’s always a battle both physically and mentally. We had some good chances in the first half and we started off slow in the second, but then we picked it up again and found the right combinations. Overall, I’m happy with how we played.”

For Flivvers head coach Jon Lorenzoni, the outcome was disappointing, but he was pleased with how his team kept attacking the Redettes till the end.

“They got the first goal, but I thought we regrouped well,” he said. “We did a much better job in the second half of spacing and communication and putting more pressure on them. We had a lot of chances, but just didn’t make the play. They gave it their all. It wasn’t due to a lack of effort. They played hard the whole way.”

Marquette had the advantage in the early part of the opening half, putting two decent shots on net. Kingsford had its first good opportunity with 26 minutes left to play as the Flivvers went on a nice rush down the middle, but it was cut off by Marquette’s Abby Kroll.

Redette Sierra Carlson also had a shot go wide with 23 minutes left and had a partial breakaway with 16:55 left, but was tripped up by a Kingsford defender.

Marquette finally got on the board with 11:46 remaining when Peterson saw an opening in front of the net and beat the Kingsford goalie far corner.

“Deni made a really nice move with a stutter-step,” Collins said. “Our forward took their defender to the outside, which allowed Deni to go to the middle and she made a great goal.”

Kingsford had a chance to answer with 15 seconds remaining in the half, but Brooke Blaskowski’s cross pass was denied.

The Flivvers came out strong in the opening minutes off the second half as they generated three good scoring opportunities, two of which by Abbey Erickson. However, the Redettes recovered in time defensively to force Kingsford’s shots to sail wide.

Marquette had two good chances to pad their lead, but a deep pass to Sierra Carlson was too far ahead of her and a great individual effort by Lauren Kurzawa was blocked by the Kingsford defense.

The Redettes also the Flivvers at bay for the remainder of the half until about eight minutes remaining when Hannah Carlson’s shot rolled past the corner post.

“Hannah made a terrific play to make space and made a great touch to herself and had a great chance 1-on-1,” Lorenzoni said. “The ball just didn’t bounce our way.”

Marquette hosts Iron Mountain Tuesday, while Kingsford plays in a tournament down in Waupaca (Wis.) Saturday.

“We could actually see Marquette down there again,” Lorenzoni said.

The Flivvers travel to Houghton on Monday to wrap up UP Soccer Conference play.