Florence cancels final football game
FLORENCE, Wis. — Injuries continue to hamper the Florence High School football season.
This week’s game against Three Lakes/Phelps was canceled because the team can’t field enough players, due to injuries and an already short roster to start the season.
The cancellation was announced by Florence athletic director Kris Johnson at the school board meeting Wednesday.
Johnson said the varsity and JV teams will have a flag football game for Parent’s Night.
As for the future of football at Florence High School, Johnson said he thinks it’s in the school’s best interest to play eight-player football, which the JV team has done this season.
Last year, the school signed a two-year agreement to play 11-player football. Johnson sent a letter to MONLPC officials asking for a switch to eight-player. The Bobcats may have to play an independent schedule next season before applying to eight-player the following season, after the two-year 11-player agreement is ended. Conference meetings take place next month.
Miron Construction is paying to take the team to Lambeau Field for a tour as a consolation for not being able to play.