Hockey: Flivvers hang on to beat Marquette, 3-2

Kingsford goaltender Trevor Anderson (1) and Daunte Fortner (8) look for the puck during a game against Marquette on Thursday, Dec. 21, 2017, in Iron Mountain, Mich. (Adam Niemi/Iron Mountain Daily News)

IRON MOUNTAIN — Kingsford rallied with two quick goals in the second period to grab momentum and beat Marquette 3-2 on Thursday.

The Flivvers (6-1) fell to a 2-0 deficit after the Redmen (4-4) scored in the final seconds of the first period and then three minutes into the second period. Kingsford answered with a goal five minutes later and then followed with another goal 33 seconds later.

Kingsford added the winning goal with two minutes remaining in the second period.

“It’s a good win for us. That’s a top-10 team in the state,” Kingsford head coach Dennis Murvich said. “That’s a team we’re going to see a couple more times this year and it’s our draw in the regionals, so that’s a great win for us.”

Colin Watkins scored the winning goal for Kingsford with two minutes left in the second period. His goal was assisted by Reece Fortner and David Brule III.

Marquette head coach Doug Garrow said his team has lacked willpower so far this season, which culminated with the second period collapse.

“Our compete level went way down after we got a 2-0 lead. I told those guys between the second and third I wasn’t happy with their effort in the second period,” Garrow said. “Overall I think we’re cheating the game of hockey. I say that in the sense that we’re not doing what it takes to win a hockey game. We’re showing up at times and think it’s just going to come easy. That’s just not the way it is. I don’t care who you’re playing. The other kids on the other team get dressed and put their equipment on just like we do and want to win just as badly as we do. Usually it comes down to a game of will, not skill, and I thought Kingsford out-willed us tonight.”

The Redmen surrendered two power-play goals. Garrow said the Redmen’s penalty kill performance summarized his team’s night.

“Our penalty kill just goes to show you we’re not sacrificing — we’re not doing what it takes to win a hockey game,” Garrow said. “Penalty kill is all about sacrifice and it’s all about hard work and we just don’t have it. Right now we don’t have it. I’ll tell you the way it is. These guys have to realize if they want to be a good hockey team it takes more than just showing up at practice and going through the motions.

“That’s what we’ve been doing and I’ll take the blame for that. It’s my responsibility to get them ready and they’ll be ready from now on, because to me it’s not acceptable. When I played I always wanted to play hard and I did anything it took to win a hockey game. If these guys don’t want to do that then I’ll find 20 guys that will.”

Marquette took the lead late in the first when Sean O’Connor scored on a shot assisted by Joe Phillips and Hunter Doucette. There was 3.5 seconds remaining in the first period when Marquette scored on a Sean O’Connor goal assisted by Joe Phillips and Hunter Doucette.

“I thought we played well early on to get those first couple goals. We were getting pucks deep. We were talking about playing down low and playing against their defense,” Garrow said. “I didn’t want to get in a run and gun game. I didn’t want to get in an up and down game. I wanted to get in a game where we grinded it out below the goal line and I thought we were doing that well early. We got pucks deep and got that established but I thought we got away from that in the second period. Once we got away from that, the wheels started to turn for them.”

Joe Phillips scored three minutes into the second period to pad the lead.

Kingsford made a comeback in the second with two power-play goals. Murvich said scoring their first goal was just enough of a momentum boost his team needed.

“Finally our guys started playing urgency after that,” Murvich said. “Our first goal was a huge goal for us. We really hadn’t created anything offensively to that point. Obviously that was a tide-turner.”

Marquette made a third-period push as Kingsford took two penalties in the last five minutes of the game and up by a goal. The Redmen tried to bring pressure but the Kingsford defense held steady.

Kingsford goaltender Trevor Anderson made 26 saves on 28 shots. Marquette goaltender Dylan Sibilsky made 23 saves on 26 shots.

“It’s not about skill that wins hockey games,” Garrow said. “I don’t say we’re the most talented team because I don’t think we are to be honest with you. For us to be successful we have to want to win and we have to out-work teams. Right now we’re just not doing it.”

Kingsford plays Saline at 6 p.m. EST on Dec. 29 in Marquette.

Marquette 1 1 0 — 2

Kingsford 0 3 0 — 3

Scoring summary:

First Period

MHS — Sean O’Connor (Joe Phillips, Hunter Doucette), 16:56

Second Period

MHS — J. Phillips (Tanner Phillips), 3:08

KHS — Daunte Fortner (TJ Burke, Sawyer Perpich), 8:42

KHS — Reece Fortner (David Brule III), power-play, 9:15

KHS — Colin Watkins (R. Fortner, Brule), power-play, 14:59

Penalty summary:

First Period

KHS — D. Fortner (hooking), 6:00

MHS — Carter Peterson (interference), 3:40

KHS — Watkins (interference), 13:30

Second Period

MHS — Ethan Jones (roughing), 1:02

MHS — Kobie Guidebeck (hooking), 12:32

MHS — Guidebeck (cross-checking), 14:45

MHS — Jones (roughing)

Third Period

MHS — Hunter Doucette (holding), 6:37

MHS — T. Phillips (boarding major), 10:23

KHS — D. Fortner (holding), 11:55

KHS — Nick Murvich (unsportsmanlike and 10-minute game misconduct), 14:10