Two treated after IM house fire
IRON MOUNTAIN — Two people were treated for smoke inhalation after a house fire early Tuesday morning on the 400 block of Vulcan Street in Iron Mountain.
A crew sent about 1:44 a.m. found the single-story residence engulfed in smoke, according to a news release from the Iron Mountain Fire Department.
The residents were outside when firefighters arrived and were taken to Dickinson County Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation.
While several family pets were rescued and placed with a neighbor, some animals did perish in the fire.
Additional off-duty firefighters and the Breitung Township Volunteer Fire Department were called in to assist, the release stated.
The fire was considered extinguished about 3 a.m., with firefighters remaining to monitor hotspots before returning to the station at 5 a.m., the new release stated.
The damage to the home and its contents is estimated at $12,000, the news release stated. The house is considered uninhabitable due to heat and smoke damage.
The fire remains under investigation.
A total of 16 firefighters from the two fire departments crewed two engines, one ladder truck and a utility vehicle, the release stated.
Also assisting were the Iron Mountain Police Department, Integrity Care EMS, We Energies and DTE Energy.