Ten don'ts from your child, if you will listen:
1. Don't spoil me - I know quite well that I ought not to have all that I ask for. I am only testing you.
2. Don't be afraid to be firm with me. I prefer it, it makes me feel more secure.
3. Don't let me form bad habits. I have to rely on you to detect them in the early stages.
4. Don't correct me in front of people if you can help it. I'll take much more notice if you talk quietly with me in private.
5. Don't protect me from my consequences. I need to learn the painful way, sometimes.
6. Don't nag. If you do, I shall have to protect myself by appearing deaf.
7. Don't forget that I cannot explain myself as well as I should like. This is why I'm not always very accurate.
8. Don't be inconsistent. That completely confuses me and makes me lose faith in you.
9. Don't put me off when I ask questions. If you do, you will find that I stop asking and seek my information elsewhere.
10. Don't forget that I can't thrive without lots of understanding love. But I don't need to tell you, do I?
I believe sincerely if parents really followed these simple rules we would not have nut-jobs on the loose killing good people. Also it would not hurt to give them some biblical teaching. I rest my case.