Twelve area businesses and organizations have purchased historical plaques which include a picture and information about their site. This is the fifth in a series of articles about the posters.
IRON MOUNTAIN - By 1902 Matthias Lonprey operated a livery stable at 210 East Hughitt Street, offering "First-Class Turn-Outs, Good Horses, Careful Drivers," adding "Special Attention to Boarding" and "Prices Reasonable."
By 1925, Ernest C. Strickler operated Chrysler, Maxwell and Reo Sales & Service, selling automobiles at 210-212 East Hughitt Street.
Lonprey’s Livery Stable, back left, and Saloon, back right, are shown at 210 and 214 East Hughitt Street, Iron Mountain, in 1911.
By 1935 Frank E. Lindquist operated Northern Battery Service at the same location.
Edward Seccombe had sample rooms (a saloon) at 214 by 1892, his advertisement stating: "Just opened. His Wines, Liquors, Cigars and Beer cannot be excelled."
By 1902 the Steam Laundry operated here with Edward Seccombe, a pumpman, Sarah Seccombe and Thomas Seccombe, a delivery man for the Steam Laundry, listed as residents.
Mrs. Seccombe probably ran the laundry. Matt Lonprey still operated a livery stable at 210 East Hughitt Street in 1913, and also ran a saloon at 214 East Hughitt, where he also resided.
In 1925 Oscar E. Peterson ran Peterson's Restaurant at this address, advertising "We Feed The Inner Man."
The Holms family posed in front of Lonprey's Saloon for this postcard view, dated August 2, 1911.
The photo was purchased through the Main Street Design Committee by McCash Investment Management.