Mansfield Pioneer Church readied for warm season
MANSFIELD TOWNSHIP — Volunteers from the Mansfield Memories Historical Committee recently met to change the seasonal decorations at the Mansfield Pioneer Church.
Down came the Christmas spruce and garlands of poinsettias, replaced with . spring flowers and wreaths.
The church now is ready to welcome visitors during the warmer months.
The Mansfield Pioneer Church is a replica of the “temperance hall” where church services took place in the village of Mansfield in the late 1800s.
Like so many communities of that era, Mansfield existed because of the Mansfield Mine. Sadly, the village was wiped out before its time with a mine cave-in tragedy of 1893 and forest fire in 1894.
Nearly a century had passed when a dedicated group of volunteers worked to reconstruct this little log church returning it to what it had once been.
The church has been enjoyed by many since the late 1980s for weddings, christenings and memorial services.
The church also is listed as a site on Iron County’s Heritage Trail.
In addition, Mansfield Memories has sponsored a summer service and a Christmas service each year. Sadly, of course, those gatherings could not be held in 2020. The committee hopes these services can resume this year if COVID-19 guidelines will allow. Watch for notices in local church bulletins and newspapers with the details.
The Mansfield Memories Historical Committee currently is seeking donations to help with a major repair project scheduled to start later this spring. Logs will be stained and sealed, chinking will be replaced and roof repairs will be made.
Donations can be sent to the group’s treasurer, Sharon Nickels at 257 Wright Road, Crystal Falls Michigan 49920. Mansfield Memories has 501(c)(3) status and receipts will be sent for tax deduction purposes.
For more information or questions, contact Nickels at 906-875-6098 or Shirley Beck at 906-875-6376.
To visit this historic landmark, turn off M-69 onto the Mansfield Cut-Off Road, which is about 4 miles east of Crystal Falls and about 6 miles west of Sagola. Go until the fork in the road, then veer left onto Stream Road. The church can be seen from the road from about a half-mile away.