Breaking News
Local News

Remember when?

By Terri Castelaz 5 min read

This week's "Remember when?" features the history of the Quinnesec Methodist Church, a building whose story reaches back nearly a century and a half.

The Quinnesec Methodist Church has been part of the community since the village's early days, witnessing the rise and decline of area mines, a devastating village fire, the arrival of electricity and automobiles, and ultimately a remarkable journey to a new home.

The First Methodist Episcopal Church was officially organized on Feb. 28, 1880.

Quinnesec founder John Lane Buell recognized that the new congregation would need a place to build a church. He deeded Lots 1 and 2 of Block 9 on Paint Street -- now U.S. 2 -- to the congregation for the sum of $1.

It was recorded that the church was constructed in 1880 and 1881. Laymen preached before a minister was assigned to the area, with the Rev. Thomas Wilkinson becoming the church's first pastor in 1881.

The original church was built on large cedar posts. In 1919, church members added a stone foundation, creating a partial basement and making room for a furnace. Until then, the building had been heated by two large wood-burning stoves. Those stoves warmed the congregation for 39 years.

The church's windows also changed with the times. For many years they were made of plain glass. In 1923, the Rev. Combellack painted the lower portions of the windows white so the outside view would not distract parishioners. The ladies of the church had the present stained-glass windows installed in 1943.

Over the years, many ministers have served the Quinnesec Methodist Church, with most also serving congregations at the First Methodist Church in Iron Mountain or Grace Methodist Church in Norway.

The Ladies' Aid, organized in the late 1890s, helped raise money for ministers' salaries and other church projects.

Another active organization, the Epworth League, drew 70 to 80 people to Sunday evening services featuring worship, fellowship and gospel singing.

The church also offered Sunday school classes and community programs, including popular Christmas Bible stories that drew families from throughout Quinnesec.

The Methodist Church saw its congregation grow during the years from 1897 to 1910, when Quinnesec was benefiting from the activity of the Cundy, Quinnesec and Vivian mines. As the mines brought workers and their families to the area, the church welcomed many new Protestant members. At the time, it was the only Protestant church serving the Quinnesec community.

The Methodist Church also survived one of the most devastating events in Quinnesec's early history -- the great fire of 1906, which destroyed the village's entire business block. Fortunately, the church stood far enough north of the fire's path to escape the flames.

The fire occurred on May 18, the same evening church members had planned to hold a bazaar. With the village business district in flames, the bazaar was, understandably, canceled.

Modern conveniences eventually found their way into the church. Until electricity was installed in 1920, the building was illuminated by two chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, along with individual kerosene lamps placed where additional light was needed.

Over the decades, numerous ministers served the Quinnesec congregation. Many were also associated with the First Methodist Church in Iron Mountain or Grace Methodist Church in Norway.

By the mid-1970s, the church had entered another period of transition. In 1974, a new pulpit and pulpit chairs were dedicated in memory of deceased members William Wales and Frank Erdman. A communion table was dedicated in memory of Will Erdman.

The entire church was carpeted in 1975. At that time, 14 families -- about 40 people -- were attending the church.

But the church's location along U.S. 2 was becoming increasingly problematic.

On the recommendation of district superintendent the Rev. John Grenfell, church members voted to seek a new property. With assistance from the District Board of Missions, the congregation was able to purchase 5 acres at the corner of River and Division streets in a newly developed residential area in the southern-central section of Quinnesec.

The congregation also needed a new basement and additional space for a nursery and restrooms. The Methodist Church Extension provided a $40,000 loan. Eight families pledged to cover the $430 monthly payment, an amount above and beyond the church’s regular budget.

On Friday, July 30, 1976, the 96-year-old church began its journey from its longtime location on U.S. 2 to its new home at River and Division streets.

The moving route took the church south on Lake Avenue to Lincoln Street, then west on Lincoln to Division Street, and finally south to the corner of Division and River streets. The church remains at 677 Division St.

The original 30- by-50 feet, wood-framed structure featured clapboard siding, pitched roof, and has little exterior ornamentation and no bell tower. Inside features included a modified cathedral-type ceiling, plastered walls and original wainscoting. The rear wall had a pointed-arch cove with a rose window inset, while the front entrance has double doors topped by another rose window.

The addition for the narthex was constructed immediately after the building was put into place.

In 1979, the church steeple was added. The exterior received an update with new siding in 2002.

The move preserved a remarkable piece of Quinnesec history while giving the congregation a safer and more functional location.

The church's historic significance was recognized the next year. On Nov. 15, 1977, the Michigan Register of Historic Sites placed the Quinnesec church on its register.

In July of this year, the Quinnesec United Methodist Church welcomed the Rev. Ron Bennett as pastor. Bennett serves Quinnesec and Trinity United Methodist Church in Iron Mountain.

Today, the building at River and Division streets stands not simply as a place of worship but as a reminder of the generations of families who built their lives, celebrated milestones and gathered together within its walls.

Starting at /week.