Troubling signs in US leadership
These 14 points were written by Laurence Britt, based on his research on fascist regimes of Hitler, Mussolini, Franco, Suharto and Pinochet. For your edification, I list them here:
1. Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism (ostentatious flag displays, bunting, lapel pins, etc.).
2. Disdain for the importance of human rights (freedom for me but not for thee).
3. Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause.
4. Supremacy of the military, such as over-the-top military spending or placing generals in positions of civilian power.
5. Rampant sexism.
6. A controlled mass media through economic pressure, appeals to patriotism, demonizing, implied threats against licensing and access to resources.
7. Obsession with national security
8. Religion and ruling elite tied together.
9. Power of corporations protected.
10. Power of labor suppressed or eliminated.
11. Disdain and suppression of the intellectuals and the arts.
12. Obsession with crime and punishment (draconian laws and huge prison systems).
13. Rampant cronyism and corruption.
14. Fraudulent elections (suppression of the vote).