Lake Antoine Classic winners from Wisconsin and Hawaii
BREITUNG TOWNSHIP — 46 runners and walkers came out to Lake Antoine Park Saturday to support the Dickinson-Iron Special Olympics by participating in the 43rd Annual Lake Antoine Classic.
The female 15K winner was Tina Eakin, who came all the way from Kailua Kona, Hawaii, to enjoy the Fumee Lake trails in a time of 1:05:05. Katie Mendina and Jamie Warren finished second and third, both with times of 1:20:15.
Nathan Pilon of Pulaski won the men’s 15 K with a time of 1:01:52, with Paul Johns of Munising second in 1:06:27, and Tony Cousineau of Felch third in 1:14:40.
In the men’s 5 mile race, Lucas Cavalieri repeated as champion with a time of 29:19. Bernard Kluskens of Alexandria, Va. finished second in 30:14 and Michael Kulas finished third in 35:36. In the women’s 5 mile, Sarah Kulas of Iron Mountain came in with a first place time of 40:27, followed by Ewa Papciak of Florence, Wis. in 45:59 and Amy Kleikamp of Spalding in 46:26.
In the 2-mile run, the top finishers were Mitchell Pilon of Pulaski, Wis. in 15:26 in the boys race, and Emery Fornetti of Iron Mountain in 23:44 in the girls race.
Special Olympics Area Director Laura Doney thanked the participants, volunteers, and sponsors for making the Lake Antoine Classic a big success again this year. Like everyone else, the local Special Olympics has been affected by COVID-19, and the proceeds from the Lake Antoine Classic will be a huge help to the organization.
Systems Control was again the major event sponsor, with First National Bank of Iron Mountain and Tadych Family Market also providing sponsorship. In addition, Pepsi of Iron Mountain donated water and Wal Mart donated Gatorade for the participants.
Lake Antoine Classic results:
1. Nathan Pilon, Pulaski, Wis. (Overall Winner) 1:01:52
2. Paul Johns, Munising, 1:06:27
3. Tony Cousineau, Felch, 1:14:40
4. Shane Marquardt, Marinette, Wis. 1:16:01
5. Jim Cihak, Amasa, 1:17:04
1. Tina Eakin, Kailua Kona, Hawaii (Overall Winner) 1:05:05
2. Katie Mendina, Norway 1:20:15
3. Jamie Warren, Iron Mountain 1:20:15
4. LeAnn Saarela, Negaunee 1:25:32
5. Shannon Revello, Ishpeming 1:38:52
Male 5-Mile Run:
1. Lucas Cavalieri, Iron Mountain (Overall Winner) 29:19
2. Bernard Kluskens, Alexandria, Va. 30:14
3. Michael Kulas, Iron Mountain 35:36
4. Greg Peters, Green Bay, Wis. 36:48
5. Wesley Papciak, Florence, Wis. 38:36
Female 5-Mile Run:
1. Sarah Kulas, Iron Mountain (Overall Winner) 40:27
2. Ewa Papciak, Florence, Wis. 45:59
3. Amy Kleikamp, Spalding 46:26
4. Kortnee Fornetti, Iron Mountain 46:43
5. Sherry Godfrey, Bark River 50:02
Male 2-Mile Run:
1. Mitchell Pilon, Pulaski, Wis. 15:26
2. Dominic Mande, Iron Mountain 20:42
3. Jude Fornetti, Iron Mountain 20:44
4. John Vrancic, Escanaba 23:03
5. Matthew Doney, Vulcan 24:59
6. Lucas Doney, Vulcan 26:59
Female 2-Mile Run:
1. Emery Fornetti, Iron Mountain 23:44
2. Alaina Mande, Iron Mountain 23:49
3. Laura Doney, Vulcan 27:00