Ironwood tennis tops Norway
NORWAY — No. 1 singles player Kali Stanchina remains undefeated on the season for the Lady Knights as Ironwood defeated Norway 6-1 in non-conference tennis action on Tuesday at Marion Park in Norway.
“The girls played against Ironwood and the wind this afternoon. While the rain held out, the wind turned out to be a formidable opponent in each match,” said Norway girls tennis coach Cassandra Gustafson.
“Kali Stanchina extended her winning streak for the season, winning her match in straight sets. Mackenzie Gilroy battled for each point and played some very close games,” Gustafson added.
“Emma Dube continues to develop her ground stroke and placement on her serves which is paying off as she won four games in her two sets. Marley Tobey played two long sets, often volleying back and forth for a while. The No. 2 doubles team of Kimberly Proctor and Jayda Hunter continued to grow together as a team and finally won some of their games,” Gustafson added.
Norway returns to action on Thursday when they travel to Delta County to face non-conference foe Escanaba.
Ironwood 6, Norway 1
1. Kali Stanchina, N, def. Zaida Loyola, I, 6-3, 6-1
2. Anneka Anderson, I, def. Mackenzie Gilroy, N, 6-3, 6-2
3. Zayla Alli, I, def. Emma Dube, N, 6-0, 6-4
4. Sarah Lauzen, I, def. Marley Tobey, N, 6-1, 6-2
1. Leilah Anderson-Ella Darrow, I, def. Averie Popp-Gabby Leiker, N, 6-1, 6-0
2. Faith Growe-Lucia Lauzen, I, def. Kimberly Proctor-Jayda Hunter, N, 6-2, 6-0
3. Melissa Charles-Gloria Kennedy, I, won Norway Forfeit
4. Double Forfeit