Garage burns after stove lit up inside to melt roof snow

HOUGHTON — An Allouez Township garage had extensive damage after a fire Wednesday afternoon in Keweenaw County.

The garage’s owner, Mark Mountz, said he had started a fire in a stove in the building’s interior to melt the snow on his roof and went on a brief walk.

“I came back, and it was burning,” he said.

Mountz was able to get his tractor out from the garage.

He said he had bruised his leg in the scramble to retrieve items but otherwise was uninjured.

“Pick up the pieces and start over,” he said.

About half the garage’s contents were salvageable, Mountz estimated. A former member of the Allouez Township and Ahmeek fire departments, Mountz credited the firefighters with quick work.

“They did a good job,” he said. “I see some stuff in there we can reuse.”

The Allouez Township Fire Department left the site about 2 p.m. Assisting were Ahmeek, Calumet Township, Keweenaw County Sheriff’s Office and Mercy EMS.

Garrett Neese can be reached at gneese@mininggazette.com.

COMMENTS