Information offered on forest permits

GLADSTONE — Hiawatha National Forest will host two open houses regarding special use permits, which are required for a variety of activities the public may wish to conduct on national forest system lands.

The open houses will be 3 to 6 p.m. Eastern time at the Forest Service offices in Munising on Dec. 10 and in Gladstone on Dec. 12.

“Our goal with these open houses is to help the public learn about the special uses program,” said Brian Hinch, a Forest Service recreation specialist who oversees recreation uses on the Hiawatha National Forest’s west zone.

What kinds of activities require a special use permit? The Forest Service provides permits for several kinds of activities, including non-commercial and commercial use, recreation events, commercial photography and filming, outfitting and guiding, transportation, energy and forest products gathering.

“We’ll have posters and handouts covering the kinds of activities that require permits, and we will also have information about the seasonal permit application windows,” said Jennifer Olmsted, zone realty specialist.

Forest Service staff will be available to answer questions about the range of special uses.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today