×

Kingsford prepares to sell surplus items on auction site

KINGSFORD — The city has decided to use the online auction site Wisconsin Surplus to sell a host of items.

The list the city plans to post includes a 1973 rotary mower, 1968 sewer routing machine, a 1975 four-wheel drive truck, a 2014 Dodge Charger that was a police vehicle, metal bleachers, old well pumps not needed for parts, old fire hose, voting machines that have not been used in about 30 years, an old gas stove that had been in City Hall and a platform scale.

Public Works Director Jeff DeMuri used the site successfully while working for the highway department in Florence County, City Manager Tony Edlebeck told the Kingsford City Council on Monday.

Charges for listing and the commission are paid by the buyer, based on sale price. Some items will have a minimum bid price assigned, but Edlebeck didn’t have an estimate of how much might be raised through the sales.

All money generated from the surplus sale will be put into the capital improvement fund.

In other business, the city received four bids for a four-wheel-drive utility truck for the Public Works Department. Ewald Hartford Ford LLC of Hartford, Wis., bid $40,893, with an alternative for a composite truck bed of $46,154; Edwards Automotive Inc. of Iron Mountain bid $44,521, with alternative bid of $49,781; Town & Country Sales of Quinnesec bid $37,277.47, with alternative of $27,203.47; and Florence Motor Sales in Florence, Wis., bid $25,600 and $26,400. Edlebeck noted that Florence’s bid was not on the proper bid form.

DeMuri told the council he preferred the composite truck bed because it will not rust, will last longer, is lighter and can potentially be removed when no longer using the truck.

Edlebeck and DeMuri will review the bids and make a recommendation at the next meeting.

The council also:

— Will allow Edlebeck to advertise for architecture design and specifications to bring the Public Safety Building entrance up to Americans with Disabilities Act code.

— Authorized Edlebeck to advertise for design and construction to replace 2 1/2-inch water mains in the areas of Wilson, Harrison, Saratoga and Cleveland streets.

— Heard 11 deer were taken in the city deer hunt, down from 18 in 2018. Past numbers include 26 deer in 2017; 43 in 2016; 41 in 2015; and 53 in 2014, Edlebeck said.

— Learned the city did not receive a Michigan Department of Natural Resources Passport grant for playground equipment and pickleball courts at Lodal Park.

Starting at $3.50/week.

Subscribe Today