Two arrested after Marinette County chase

MARINETTE, Wis. — Two men suspected in the theft of a pickup truck were arrested this morning after a chase that covered roughly 25 miles on U.S. 141 in Marinette County, said Sheriff Jerry Sauve.

Taken into custody near Middle Inlet were the driver, Tyler Jon Dollar, 22, of Portage, Wis., and passenger Chandler Lee Pavlet, 26, of Iron Mountain, who had multiple warrants for his arrest, Sauve said.

On Monday night, Florence County Sheriff Dan Miller had put out information to be on the lookout for a stolen black pickup truck that had fled authorities in Dickinson and Florence counties.

At about 11 a.m. today, a Marinette County deputy spotted the vehicle southbound on U.S. 141 in the town of Beecher.

According to a press release from Sauve, the vehicle was occupied by two young males matching the description given by Florence County. When other officers got closer, they tried to stop the vehicle south of Wausaukee, but it fled at high speed southbound.

Two attempts with tire deflation devices were unsuccessful.

The pursuit continued to the town of Beaver where the fleeing truck went southbound in the northbound lanes, went off the road, turned around and continued back northbound, Sauve said. The chase continued back to the Middle Inlet area south of Wausaukee where a third deployment of a tire deflation device was successful.

The vehicle stopped and both suspects were arrested without incident and later turned over to Florence County sheriff’s officers.

There were no injuries and no damage to any of the squad cars involved.

The case remains under investigation with potential charges under review by prosecutors in Dickinson, Florence and Marinette counties.

Dollar, identified as being from Aurora, Wis., had been named earlier today as the suspected driver in a fleeing and eluding incident Monday night in Dickinson and Florence counties.

An Iron Mountain officer tried to make a stop on a passenger car on U.S. 2 near Ludington Street at 9:39 p.m., but the car fled, said Ed Mattson, director of police and fire services.

The car went west on Fleshiem Street to Carpenter Avenue and continued south into Wisconsin. The pursuit ended in Fence, Wis., where the suspect vehicle pulled into a driveway and two of the three occupants, both males, fled on foot.

A third occupant, a female, was detained at the scene and later released, Mattson said.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today