Michigan stops some medical procedures
In this image provided by Michelle White, a line develops outside at a Trader Joe's store in Grosse Pointe, Mich., Friday, March 20, 2020, where employees wiped down grocery carts and restricted the number of customers inside. (Michelle White via AP)
DETROIT (AP) — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer ordered Michigan doctors and dentists to postpone all nonessential medical procedures Friday but declined — for now — to join other big states that are telling residents to stay home to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
The number of Michigan cases jumped 64% from Thursday to at least 549, with 88% in just three counties: Wayne, Oakland and Macomb. Four people have died so far — the latest a 50-year Oakland County man with underlying health conditions.
California, New York and Illinois have ordered millions of people to stay home unless for certain tasks, such as medical appointments, grocery shopping or exercise.
“We are not there,” Whitmer told reporters. “I think it’s irresponsible for anyone to imply, read into or broadcast anything other than that.”
But if strategies change, “I will absolutely communicate that personally to the public,” she said.
Whitmer has tried to reduce the spread by limiting crowds at popular gathering spots and closing schools. Bars, fitness clubs and theaters are closed, and restaurants can only prepare food for carry-out. Many church services are canceled again this weekend.
For most people, the virus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia. The virus can spread through coughing and sneezing.
Five Detroit police officers have tested positive while nearly 150 more are off work, Chief James Craig said.
While stopping elective medical procedures statewide, the governor said her order excludes heart surgeries, cancer testing and treatment, pregnancy-related appointments, births, organ transplants and dialysis.
“This will keep people from unnecessarily exposing others and, importantly, it will make sure we are preserving critical medical supplies like gowns and masks as much as possible,” said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, Michigan’s chief medical executive.
Whitmer also sought to knock down social media suspicions that she has big plans for the National Guard. Whitmer said she is seeking President Donald Trump’s approval to deploy members for health-related tasks.
“I am not calling for martial law,” the governor said.
Meanwhile, unemployment claims continued to rise. The state said more than 55,000 people filed through Wednesday, an increase more than 15-fold above normal. In response to the virus’ likely economic impact, Whitmer halted evictions in rental properties.
The Michigan Department of Education stirred up teachers around the state by saying virtual learning during the three-week shutdown does not count toward annual state requirements. Schools must meet for 180 days with 1,098 hours of instruction. Questions abound over whether lawmakers will forgive the requirement or if the school year will be extended.
Whitmer, who does not control the Education Department, said she was “dismayed” by the guidance.
But state Superintendent Michael Rice said law ties the department’s hands, noting that attendance is impossible to verify when schools choose distance learning but are not actually designed to provide it. He said many children have no computer at home.
Rice called on the Legislature to forgive missed days and “make clear” that the school year will not be extended into summer.
“This is going to get worked out in the days and weeks to come,” said Robert Shaner, superintendent of the 15,000-student Rochester district, which will continue offering online learning.
In Wayne County, Chief Judge Tim Kenny is holding a hearing Tuesday about what to do with the local jail population because of the virus threat.
The virus is disrupting election-related activity. Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson asked Whitmer to delay the deadline for candidates to file signatures by three weeks to May 12. A ballot drive to try to reduce the influence of lobbyists in the Capitol is on hold until 2022.
___
Eggert reported from Lansing, Michigan. Associated Press reporter Corey Williams contributed to this story.
___
The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
___
Follow AP coverage of the virus outbreak at https://apnews.com/VirusOutbreak and https://apnews.com/UnderstandingtheOutbreak





