Fourth of July parade plans, route set
IRON MOUNTAIN — A route is in place for the 2019 Independence Day parade in Iron Mountain-Kingsford, the same as in previous years but under new sponsorship.
The Menominee Range Historical Foundation has taken charge of the parade, which steps off at 9 a.m. Thursday, July 4.
Joe Testolin of Americans for Constitutional Enforcement, the previous parade organizer, is assisting, said Jayna Huotari, parade chairwoman.
In approving the parade route this week, Iron Mountain City Council members thanked the historical foundation — as well as ACE for its past efforts.
“They did a wonderful job all the years of running it,” said council member Bill Revord.
The parade will start on Balsam Street and Pyle Drive in Kingsford, proceed north and turn right onto Woodward Avenue and left on Carpenter Avenue until it reaches H Street and turns right. It will end near the Midtown Mall on Stephenson Avenue in Iron Mountain.
Kingsford City Council had earlier approved the parade route request.
In other business, the Iron Mountain council approved a $750 donation to the Sons of American Legion Post 50 fireworks fund. The budget for this year’s program is about $13,200, said Michael Laydon, fireworks committee chairman.
The annual display, scheduled for dusk July 4 from Millie Hill in Iron Mountain, is among the most spectacular shows in the U.P., he said. Checks to support the program can be mailed to SAL 2019 Fireworks Fund, P.O. Box 1046, Iron Mountain, MI 49801.
The council also authorized a fireworks display permit for Speilbauer Fireworks Co. of Green Bay, Wis., the show contractor.
In other action, the council:
— Gave preliminary approval to the Dickinson Trails Network to build and maintain a mountain bike course on Millie Hill. The group will be required to provide signage as well as general liability insurance and address any issues associated with former mine sites. “There really will be no cost to the city,” said spokesman Kyle Lindstrom. This trail, in addition to one completed in Norway, should boost Dickinson County tourism, he said.
— Accepted a proposal from Beckett and Raeder of Ann Arbor to update the city’s master plan for $38,989, provided the Michigan Economic Development Commission covers half the cost. An updated master plan is needed to qualify the city as a Redevelopment Ready Community, an MEDC program designed to help attract investment.
— Will solicit proposals for administrative services for a rental rehabilitation grant. Jesse Land is tentatively approved for a Michigan State Housing Development Authority grant to create four new rental units in the upstairs at 323 S. Stephenson Ave., said Jordan Stanchina, city manager. The cost for the consulting administrator will be reimbursed through the grant, which is awarded to the city and then passed on to the developer.
— Will review the structure and description for the city’s zoning and code administrator position. Steve Mulka, who now has the job, is leaving to become Breitung Township superintendent.
— Heard Stanchina report that a vacant home at 522 E. A St. will be torn down, financed by the August Lilja Memorial Trust. The trust fund committee hopes to transfer title of the property to Habitat for Humanity Menominee River for construction of a new home.
— Agreed to seek bids on a riding lawn mower for the Public Works Department, replacing a 1998 model.
— Opened and accepted the high bids for surplus city equipment, including two used vehicles and playground toys.
— Opened and referred to city administration for review bids for a used sidewalk plow.